- Visiting France
- Moving to France
- Already living in France
- Everything about La Poste
- Companies operating in France
- Companies developing their business on the French market
Want to know something in particular about La Poste?
Here are a few of the questions often asked, and the answers.
What are the Business Post 3634 opening hours?
8 am to 6.30 pm, Monday to Friday.
Why contact Business Post 3634?
You can contact 3634 (0.34 euro per minute inc. VAT from a landline – service in French only) to:
- order postal or parcel services,
- amend a contract,
- get more information on post or parcel services,
- ask questions about the after sales service for postal services (tracking, billing operations, process of item deposit and collection).
How do I make a complaint?
If your complaint relates to a postal product or service, please make your complaint by:
- telephone: 3634 (0.34 euro per minute inc. VAT from a landline – service in French only),
- Internet: click here to fill in the online claim form (form in English).
What is the delivery time for Ecopli mail?
3 to 5 days.
What is the difference between a letter ("lettre") and a parcel ("colis")?
The letter rate is only for sending correspondence or documents and all related media (CD-ROM, etc.) weighing less than or equal to 3 kg.
Anything else is considered to be a parcel.
What is a "Lettre Recommandée Electronique" (Electronic Registered Letter)?
A "Lettre Recommandée Electronique" allows you to send a registered letter from your computer 24/7. You need an Internet connection to do this. La Poste does the rest! We print your letter, put it in an envelope, stamp it and deliver it to its final destination.
Distribution times are the same as for traditional registered mail (1 or 2 days).
What is the "Prêt-à-recommander suivi" (Tracked Ready-to-Register)?
The "Prêt-à-recommander suivi" is an all-in-one product including writing space, the envelope and postage. It’s an envelope system where the paper used to write the letter is then used as the envelope.
You also benefit from the guarantee of content: the written message is an integrated part of the envelope, the recipient cannot claim to have received an empty envelope.
The "Prêt-à-recommander suivi" includes postage and tracking.
The postage cost is R1. Delivery notification is included.
No documents may be inserted into the "Prêt-à-recommander suivi".
The delivery time is the same as a letter (1 or 2 days).
For more information on tracking: www.laposte.fr/csuivi (site in French).
What information does tracking provide?
Tracking provides the delivery date of the letter, or if necessary, the reasons for non-delivery.
Tracking provides information for the sender and does not include a delivery guarantee. It has no legal value.
Parcels and Express
What is the "numéro de suivi" (tracking number)?
Thanks to the tracking system your parcel is unique. By referring to the number written on your proof of posting (below the bar code), you can check the shipping status of your parcel at any time.
It has 13 characters (1 letter and 12 numbers – e.g.: 8D00432154798).
What is an "avis de passage" (non-delivery notice)?
This is the document the postman leaves in your letterbox to inform you that he or she has visited your home but was unable to deliver your parcel. On this notice you will find the date and address of the post office where you (or someone you nominate) may pick up your parcel upon presentation of this document along with a form of ID (passport or ID card).
What does "mis en instance" (undeliverable) mean?
If you are not in when the postman calls or if the parcel does not fit through the letterbox, you will be left a non-delivery notice. This notice tells you that the postman called and has the address of the post office where you can collect your parcel from within the following fortnight.
After this time period, the parcel is returned to the sender.
What are the tracking points during the journey of a parcel?
A parcel is scanned at least 4 times as it goes through our system:
- when it is deposited at the post office,
- when the parcel reaches the entry platform in our network,
- on reaching the distribution preparation point,
- on delivery or on return to us depending if the parcel was able to be delivered or not.
What do I do if a parcel is listed as delivered in the tracking table and I haven’t received it?
If you do not receive your parcel even though it is listed in the tracking table on the site as having been delivered, then you should inform the sender and ask them to register a complaint at the post office. An inquiry will be launched and your sender will be notified of the results.
How do I send a parcel by ColiPoste?
There are 2 options available:
- computerised posting: software made available for printing your postage labels, subject to the products covered in your contract,
- manual posting, with a range of pre-paid options.
What are the advantages of the Colissimo Business Package on contract?
Signing up to the Colissimo Business Package, you will enjoy:
1. A range of added services
- A free and progressive posting service for printing postage labels.
- The use of a thermal printer with contracts of 23,000 euros or more.
- Free postage labels for the complete Colissimo range (computerised option).
- Transport budget tracking as part of your posting services.
2. A close business relationship
- A dedicated account manager with contracts of 23,000 euros or more.
- Dedicated customer service.
3. A solution adapted to your needs
Access to a full range of benefits.
A preferential rate negotiated in line with volume.
A personalised area on this site where you can:
- track your parcels,
- order products online,
- download the latest updates on your postal services.
The option of choosing your billing format to better manage your transport strategy.
Monthly billing for your post.
How do I open a customer account?
For more information on the best option for you, talk to one of our advisors by calling 3634 (0.225 euro per minute inc. VAT from a landline – service in French).
How do I get computerised post management?
When you sign up for a contract, you will get a free computerised solution for printing your postage labels.
What is the maximum declared value for parcels?
All our products come with optional insurance as standard up to the value of 1,500 euros and in increments of:
- 150 euros for computerised options,
- 500 euros for pre-paid options.
You can choose the insurance cover for the amount that best matches the value of the goods being sent.
The compensation can be paid once an original receipt for the content is seen subject to the level of assurance taken out.
What are the customs formalities for sending parcels to French Overseas Territories and Dependencies, Europe and the rest of the world?
No customs documents are necessary for the European Union.
For other destinations (Overseas Territories and Dependencies, and outside the European Union) the following documents must be attached:
- commercial or pro forma invoice in duplicate or triplicate,
- customs declaration CN23 or CN22 according to the type of shipment.
For more information about customs formalities please click here.
Which product categories may not be sent using ColiPoste?
Several categories of product may not be sent, in particular:
- objects that may leak or soil if the packaging gets broken,
- products or objects containing dangerous materials,
- live animals (except for bees, leeches, silkworms and fruit flies).
Sending perishable goods is also strongly discouraged.
Is there a parcel collection service available?
ColiPoste offers a collection service.
If you want information on the conditions of registering for this service, contact your usual business advisor or your La Poste advisor.
What are the maximum parcel dimensions permitted?
The minimum dimensions for mechanised posting are as follows:
- length: 16 cm,
- width: 11 cm,
- height: 1 cm.
- length: 22 cm,
- width: 15 cm (Metropolitan France) and 20 cm (international and overseas),
- height: 1 cm.
- the sum of the 3 dimensions (length + width + height) must not exceed 150 cm,
- length: 100 cm.
It is possible to send parcels of larger dimensions subject to an additional charge, within the following limits:
- the sum of the 3 dimensions (length + width + height) must be between 150 cm and 200 cm,
- one of the dimensions is over 100 cm but the sum of the 3 dimensions is still less than 200 cm.
Do 48 hour distribution times (2 working days) include public holidays, Saturdays and Sundays?
Distribution times are calculated in working days (every day of the week except Sundays and public holidays). So Saturday is included in the calculation of distribution times for parcels sent on Saturdays. Sundays and public holidays are not included, however. For example, any parcel sent on Saturday before final reception time will be delivered on the following Tuesday, since Sunday is not a working day.
Who provides the after sales service in the event of a loss or late arrival of a parcel?
Business customers may direct any complaints to our Customer Services department.
Our teams are at your service on 3634 (0.34 euro per minute inc. VAT from a landline – service in French), from 8 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday.
What is the "Saturday delivery" option?
The "Saturday delivery" option enables you to choose between Saturday or Monday delivery for mail deposited on Friday. Tick the box for a Saturday delivery.
Note: there is a fee for this option, except for "Prêt-à-Expédier" (ready to send) packets.
Is it possible to group several packets together in the same shipment?
Yes, you may group packets together that are being shipped the same day from the same address to the same recipient. In this case:
- stick a label on each packet,
- tick the "groupage tarifaire" (grouped rate) box,
- on the packaging, next to the waybill, write the position of the packet in the group (e.g. for 3 packets: 1/3, 2/3, 3/3).
What are the weight and size restrictions?
Chronopost International accepts letters and packets up to a weight of 30 kg and with maximum dimensions of 150 cm in length by 300 cm unfolded, i.e. L + 2 w + 2 h = 300 cm (L = length, w = width, h = height).
Under what circumstances will customs block your shipment?
Customs may block your shipment, particularly in the event of:
- a missing or incomplete invoice,
- non-payment of customs fees.
Are invoices compulsory?
Pro forma or commercial invoices are compulsory (5 copies of each) for all shipments of goods outside the European Union.
What is the difference between a pro forma invoice and a commercial invoice?
The pro forma invoice is used when the parcel has no commercial value or is not intended for sale. If the parcel is intended for sale then you should use commercial invoices.
How can I track my shipment?
- As soon as your Chronopost International shipment is received by the post office you can track it 24/7.
- On each page of the www.chronopost.fr French site you will find "Suivi d'envoi" (Tracking) in the top right. You just have to enter your tracking number (13 characters situated underneath the barcode of your waybill) in the field provided for this purpose and click OK.
- Customers who have ChronoShip may use ChronoTrace to track their shipment in more depth using specific criteria (reference, shipping date, destination, etc.).
- You can also track your shipment by telephone on 0 825 801 801 (Indigo Number costing 0.15 euro per minute – service in French) and by pressing 4 on your handset to "Locate one of your shipments".
What should I do once I have received a non-delivery notice from Chronopost?
You should go to the collection point as shown on the non-delivery notice taking with you the documentation required for collection, namely:
- the non-delivery notice,
- a piece of identification or a business ID.
What should I do if my shipment is damaged when it arrives?
Upon delivery any damages or losses should be noted down by the recipient on the delivery notice in precise detail, and dated and signed in the presence of the driver.
It is then up to you to send a written complaint to Chronopost Customer Service, within 21 days following delivery:
- by fax: 0 825 801 802,
- to the following address: Service Clients Chronopost International, 14 boulevard des Frères Voisin, 92795 Issy-les-Moulineaux Cedex 09, France.
How do I make a complaint?
To make a complaint, contact our Customer Service department within 21 days following the delivery:
- by telephone: 0 825 801 801 (Indigo Number 0.15 euro per minute inc. VAT – service in French),
- by fax: 0 825 801 802,
- at the following address: Service Clients Chronopost International, 14 boulevard des Frères Voisin, 92795 Issy-les-Moulineaux Cedex 09, France.
Grounds must be provided for the complaint, along with supporting documentation (letter of transport, purchase receipt, etc.).
Why open a Chronopost International account?
With a Chronopost International account you can:
- access services exclusive to account customers (Chrono Retrait Bureau, Chrono Comfort, Chrono Agenda, Chrono SWAP, programmed collection, etc.),
- obtain rates adapted to your volumes of post,
- receive monthly billing for your post and personalised billing on request,
- have personalised support provided by a dedicated business advisor,
- access automated solutions for processing your post.
To open a Chronopost International account, contact a business advisor on 0 825 865 865 (Indigo Number 0.15 euro per minute inc. VAT – service in French) Monday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm.
La Banque Postale
Cancel the card immediately by calling:
- your banking centre: the telephone number appears both on your statements and on your cheque book,
- or the call centre on:
- 0 825 809 803* from Metropolitan France or Overseas Dependencies,
- + 33 (0) 555 425 196* from Overseas Territories or any country other than France,
- or else 0 892 705 705*.
In any event, confirm the cancellation of your card by sending a registered letter with recorded delivery to your banking centre.
In the event of theft, attach your receipt of the declaration made to the police or the gendarmerie.
If you notice a fraudulent use of your card, then you should immediately cancel your card and send a written complaint to your banking centre.
* Cost of communications depends on the telecommunications operators. Service in French.
In the event of loss or theft, you are liable for 150 euros worth of any losses that occur before you cancel your card. However, in the event of serious misuse, late card cancellation or use by a member of your family, you are responsible for any operations undertaken before you cancelled your card (without limit).
In the event of fraudulent use of your card, La Banque Postale undertakes to settle any dispute within a month and to promptly reimburse the contested sums as well as all bank charges incurred.
In the event of a disagreement with La Banque Postale, you may contact your banking centre by telephone or by mail, or else go to your local post office. Our staff will do all they can to satisfy your request.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about La Poste or this site, here’s how to contact us:
44 bd de Vaugirard
75015 Paris – France
The call center for international customer service is available Monday to Friday from 8am to 7pm (note that the service is not available on Saturday). We offer a contact in English and French.